Thursday, March 10, 2011

Healthy dinner

Today we are having a fairly healthy dinner.  I just finished putting some frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts in the oven with some garlic lovers salsa.  Once it has cooked up, I am going to thin slice some mini sweet peppers and some onion, fry them together and toss in the chicken.

Now, so far it's healthy.  You can avoid the peppers and onions, and just chop up the chicken and serve with with rice.  You can keep the peppers and onions, and serve with rice.  You can make fajitas with it, which is what we did.

As I get the chicken out of the oven and cut up my peppers, I will take some pictures and share, especially of the cute little peppers I am cutting up.  Aiden won't eat it.  He will, however, eat a bean burrito, and I have no problem serving some refried beans with it.

Chicken cooked in Salsa
Min sweet peppers.  I had to fight Ciera to get enough for dinner, she was eating them like apples.
Cut up peppers
Peppers and onions
Using the cast iron skillet to get proper blackening. 
Diced the chicken, added some of the salsa it cooked in.
Completed fajita fillings
cheese, tortilla, fajita filling.  Yum!
I have a sour cream problem.  I like it too much.


Yesterday was a pretty healthy dinner, we had french fries, baked, and veggie burgers.  They weren't the veggie burgers that try to be meat, these try to be vegetables.  The kids loved them when we sampled them at Costco.  Once they weren't a sample, the kids wouldn't eat them.  Which sucks, because we picked them up instead of the pot stickers, which is what the kids have been clamoring for.

I try for healthy, but I really don't do so well at it.  I do easy, and quick, and tasty, and homestyle.  Like lunch.  We had a bacon and cheese impossible pie, which is so easy and so tasty, and isn't the healthiest, but it fed us, and pleased us.  Though I really really do need to get to making more healthy foods, since Bart's blood pressure isn't getting better.  Though I have been getting him to eat my 10 grain cereal with added flax with me in the morning.  And he gave up all his pop tarts, which was necessary.

Well, since this site is to watch me evolve, hopefully more healthy recipes will pop up.

2 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! And I love the step by step pictures! I might have to try making this since my husband loves fajitas and is also trying to lose weight. Great post!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so yummy, we all made ourselves sick eating it, lol. I'm glad you liked the step by step pictures, I'm going to start trying to do that more, Bart laughed at me the whole time I was doing it.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a message, I want your ideas. Please be kind, this is a peaceful place.