Monday, March 14, 2011

Easy comfort food

So, I showed a picture the other day of one of my easy meals.  Easy as in it took no time to make.  I was thinking about all my dishes, and for the most part, they are all easy.  Like the chicken fajitas.  They were time consuming, only in that I baked the chicken in the salsa instead of frying it up, and in the slicing of the peppers, but once it all came together, it took less than 10 minutes to get it to the table.

I do comfort food fast too.  I made one of our favorite meals yesterday, chicken and dumplings.  This is another of my really fast go to meals.  If you buy a rotisserie chicken, it goes really fast that way too, but I just chopped up some skinless boneless chicken breasts and cooked them in the broth. 

So, the basic recipe I use for chicken and dumplings is this.  8 cups of broth, or if you have no broth, 8 cups of water and enough chicken base to make it taste good, then add one bag of frozen mixed vegetables, the meat from 1 chicken, or 3-4 breasts, chopped up.  Let this come to a boil, and while it does, make your dumplings.  I use a recipe that takes a cup of milk, 1/4 cup of oil, 1 tbs baking powder, 1.5 cups of flour, a teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of sugar.  Now, this makes for a very bland dumpling.  So, I play with it.  I add parsley, for color, and then I usually put in a teaspoon or two of poultry seasoning, which I was out of today, and therefore it didn't get added.  One the soup is simmering, you drop the dumplings in, a teaspoonful at a time, until all the dough is in.  Then slap a lid on that baby and don't look for 20 minutes.  The steam and the boiling are what cooks the dumplings.  So, we had bland dumplings, which were still awesome, because they were dumplings in an awesome chicken soup.  Comfort food at its finest, easiest.  To make it even more carby, and comforting, we served this over mashed potatoes.  To make us even lamer in our quick easy dinner, we used boxed potatoes.  We didn't have any potatoes at home to make real mashed potatoes.

All in all, it was an awesome meal, quick to make, under an hour and we were eating.

1 comment:

  1. I'm your newest follower from the Good Friends Blog Hop. If you get a minute please stop by A Little of This and a Little of That and follow back. Have a fantastic week.
    http://alittleoftheother.com

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a message, I want your ideas. Please be kind, this is a peaceful place.