Saturday, February 26, 2011

Lemon Curd

Lemon curd used to scare me.  Actually anything that required heating up eggs to make a satiny end product scared me.  Then I wanted to make cupcakes for the wedding that required lemon curd.  And I didn't want to buy it.  So, I manned up and made it.  It was easy.

Essentially all I did was take the juice of two lemons, plus the zest off of them, 1 cup superfine sugar, though normal sugar works too, and 8 egg yolks.  I whisked it all together, and then stirred it constantly on medium heat until it got thick and coated a spoon.  Once it hit that point, I took it off the heat and whisked in 10 tablespoons of cold butter, 1 tablespoon at a time.  Then I strained it through a fine mesh strainer and put it in the fridge, covered by a layer of plastic wrap so that it wouldn't get a skin.  Once I have lemon cupcakes made, I will fill them.










Speaking of filled cupcakes, today I also made chocolate cupcakes, and I filled them with a salted caramel and then frosted them with a chocolate frosting.  They are good, but you really can only eat one, or you will die by cupcake.  Any pictures with a copywrite were done by Verity Images Photography








I got a wild bug up my butt earlier this month, and bought a turkey.  Then I invited friends to come over today, and boom, we are having Thanksgiving dinner in February.  Lately I have been doing anything I can to get friends over and to have a good evening with company.  Next month I get to have a party using Philly's new cream cheese products meant to make making dinner easier.  I won the chance to do it on houseparty.com.  I will blog the entire event.

I'm willing to take any ideas for cupcakes, if anyone can think of any.  I am having so much fun making them.  I do the cupcake tasting for Velvet's wedding end of March, beginning of April, and I swear I will need 50 pounds of powdered sugar, 50 pounds of sugar, 50 pounds of flour, 50 pounds of butter and 50 pounds of cream cheese, just to make the tasting.  Doing it for the wedding will be interesting, but worth it.

I will have pictures from the lemon curd/cupcakes later, but for now, I do have pictures from the chocolate ones.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message, I want your ideas. Please be kind, this is a peaceful place.